Monday, June 21, 2010

It's still June, right?

Ironman 2


I was so excited to see this movie in the theater. Like I wanted to be there the day it opened and get a seat right in the center of the theater and then sit there all day and watch it again and again. Why? Well, ahem, look at him:
ironman2002
Are you looking? Isn't he dreamy. With the wit and the stammering and the cocksure bravado masking his good heart and insecurity? Yeah. Anyway, that didn't happen. In fact, I didn't get to see Ironman 2 till yesterday, pretty sure making me one of the last. And I didn't want to stay and see it again. Or stay and watch anything past the Monte Carlo car race.

The movie just didn't work for me. Too many shots of stupid Gwen Paltrow and even stupider Scarlett Johnhoweveryouspellhernameson. Plus, I don't like the Nick Fury crap. I think they should have just focused on the guy from the movie Moon who looks just like Will from Will and Grace and maybe this Soviet felon dude. I also didn't like the whole government trying to comandeer Ironman stuff...though the Senate hearings were pretty funny. All in all? Meh.


Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior (2003)

My co-worker recommended this flick to me. It was pretty much many different kinds of awesome. If you like martial arts, cool stunts without sappy romance, this is the movie for you. The plot, I suppose, centers on a young man setting out for the big city when his village's sacred monk head is stolen by a gangster. He falls into an underground fighting ring, where he naturally kicks ass. But it's mostly about the fighting. And the grifting.

Facing Ali (2009)

I've been a huge Ali fan since watching Ali. The movie, not the boxer. I am way too young to have ever seen the boxer. Facing Ali is a documentary which, interestingly, doesn't feature modern-day Ali, at all. (Maybe because he can no longer really talk or intentionally.) The movie focuses on tracking Ali's rise and fall through the eyes of his surviving opponents. One dude is still SO angry at Ali -- I can't remember his name, but he sang a song about how Ali can call himself whatever he wants, he'd always be Cassius Clay. Then past Muhammad called him an Uncle Tom. Then he said Ali's current state is karmic payback and I was all "daayyuuumm, OH SNAP!"
Frankly, with the exception of George Foreman, who found Jesus and a grill in the nick of time, all these men are broken, damaged shells of their former selves. But I guess when you make a living getting punched in the face, life's not going to be a ball of roses. (Ball of roses? That doesn't sound right...bed of roses? bunch of roses? How do roses come? -Ed) I highly recommend this movie -- even if you're not a boxing fan.

Invictus (2009)

Raise your hand if you thought this movie was about soccer. Yeah, ME TOO! It's not. Also, Matt Damon's accent is about as good as my South African accent and I can't do a South African accent. Well, I could, but it'd just sound like my Australian accent. Which sounds like my Indian accent and so on. No bueno. The movie is slow too. Lots of talking and walking around. The last half hour is good though, but who the heck knows what's going on in a rugby match. Much less a dramaticized rugby match. Wait. Are they called matches? I did see this flick right after Facing Ali AND I'm easily confused, so...you know. You're welcome.

Daybreakers

I thought this movie was going to be SO scary! Basically, vampires have taken over the world and as the last humans are hunted, the vampires struggle to find a new source of blood. They find it, but it turns out to be much more than they'd bargained for. Um. But not in a good way. It's kind of an "intellectual" "talkie" vampire movie. Lots of science and corporate conspiracy. Who needs that?! Am I right? Let's get with the biting and the running and the screaming! Honestly, I can't even remember who stars in this...though I feel like it's a big marquee name.

Valentine's Day (2010)

Call me crazy, but I did NOT hate this movie. Matter of fact, I daresay, (looks around, pulls you in real close and whispers...) I liked this movie. I like that the vignettes all actually come together to form a connected universe. The ending packs three surprises into one, although one you kinda see coming a mile away. I'll admit it's a tiny bit cheesy, but not vomit inducingly so AND this is Ashton Kutcher's finest performance. Yes, I know. But still. Taylor Swift does bring shame upon herself and her family though, but she's not on screen that much. Um...pinky swear.

8 comments:

雅馨 said...

大師手筆﹐果然不凡.................................................................

Dawn Summers said...

Oh, Asian characters commenter, you are the only one who understands me.

Julius_Goat said...

I still understand you.

Oh. My. GOD.

I am Asian characters commenter!!!!

Get out of the house! Get out of the house!

Dawn Summers said...

hahaha Astin, is that you? Make me a cake!

江婷 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
HighOnPoker said...

+1 for Asian guy.

The actual best Ashton Kutcher movie is Spread. In fact, I humbly request that it be placed on your Netflix list.

柏強 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shrike said...

Ong-Bak was all kinds of awesome.