Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Starman

*

Jeff Bridges' Oscar-nominated performance as the title character is really the only reason to see this turkey. He does admirable work as an alien walking around in the simulacrum of the body of a recently dead man, whose DNA he's appropriated for purposes of earthling assimilation, convincingly essaying a completely un-human entity wearing a man skin, but the rest of this is really unimaginative, "we're the true savages" sort of stuff, as the curious and advanced Starman learns about the simple pleasures of pie and human love, while the cartoonish military decides that they want to chase him down and dissect him for science and weaponry and blah blah. John Carpenter directed, but there's almost none of the signature creepiness (with one notable exception) or style on offer this time out, just platitudes and dumb.

5 comments:

Duey Crim said...

Ill have to disagree with you on this one. I give it 3 stars.

Karen said...

I really really hated this movie, but (embarrassingly), i really liked the TV show back when i was younger.

Dawn Summers said...

I LOVED the TV show when I was younger! That and Manimal was totes the best night on television!

RexTemples20144 said...

thank for share, it is very important . ̄︿ ̄..................................................

I Had said...

What the hell! I saw cabaret too! Your banners are rigged! I wanna pick a banner. And I guess "hero" for this one.