Friday, January 15, 2010

Owned But Unseen

Have you ever seen one of those shows about hoarders? People who just keep accumulating things they never use and can't get rid of? I'm kind of like that with movies.

The first comment a lot of people have when they see my collection is "wow, that's a lot of movies." It's not monumental, at only around 330 or so, but it's large enough to get noticed. The second reaction is "wait, you haven't seen these?" when they see the number of shrink-wrapped DVDs in that collection. Not to mention the laser discs that looked well-loved because they were bought used.

How many? I have at least 30-40 films that I own but have never seen in any form. I likely have more that I own but have never seen in DVD/Blu-Ray, but loved in the theatre.

It's a list that keeps growing, and includes a few that get people saying "Really? You've NEVER seen that?" The Killer (Criterion laserdisc), a swath of cinema classics, including a bunch of Kurosawas that haven't been cracked open, and crawling their way over the US-Canada border? Moon and District 9.

Yet I have 3 or 4 copies of Army of Darkness that have all been watched.

Oh, and a few borrowed movies from a friend whose collection surpasses mine -- but she's actually seen most of hers.

So what's my point? I need to plunk my ass down on my big comfy couch and start watching these things. I mean, I've heard good things about that Coppola gangster movie trilogy. And it's not like The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Ran, The Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Ikiru, and Rashomon are going to watch themselves. Nor is the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, Dog Soldiers, or the Alien Quadrilogy (yah, I haven't actually watched those all the way through either). Come to think of it, the Shining and most of Mel Brooks' filmography are sitting on a shelf unwatched as well. Is Blazing Saddles any good? Anybody seen that movie M*A*S*H? It's by some guy named Altman...

Let's not talk about the... oh... half a dozen TV series that are taking up space beside them.

1 comment:

Dawn Summers said...

I'm like that with the DVD box series of TV shows. But I wouldn't buy a movie I haven't seen yet. That's how people end up owning "Butterfly effect"