Thursday, December 24, 2009

Top Of My Head 30

Well, I COULD look at that list of movies made in the naughts, but instead I'll see what films I've seen that may have been in the past decade that I liked. Also, I'll try to keep it to 30, because 20 ain't enough. In no particular order:

1.- Banlieu 13 (District B13) - Parkour kick-assery
2.- Dogville - Chalk outlines and brilliance
3.- The Bothersome Man - Norwegian film you haven't seen but should
4.- O Brother, Where Art Thou? - My favourite Coens movie ever
5.- Two Soliders (short) - 20 minute tearjerker
6.- Iron Man - Loved X2, Batman, and others, but this was my fav of the superheroes
7.- Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story - Funny as hell, every time
8.- Kung Fu Hustle - Looney Tunes + The Matrix = awesomesauce
9.- The Lord of the Rings series - As close to how you envisioned it as it could be
10.- Monsters Inc. - My 2nd favourite Pixar film behind Toy Story 2
11.- I ♥ Huckabees - Existential and nihilistic comedy
12.- Adaptation - Pretty meta, and I'll watch anything written by Kaufman
13.- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Kaufman again, and Jim Carey's finest role
14.- The Road - Bleak, harsh, and beautiful
15.- Before Sunset - Best intelligent date movie ever.
16.- Waking Life - Trippy, philosophical, great
17.- Match Point - Woody Allen tenses up his audience with adultery. Nothing funny here.
18.- The Darjeeling Limited - Wes Anderson is growing on me. Need to see that Fox film.
19.- Synechdoche, New York - Kaufman allowed to direct = mind trip
20.- Pontypool - Best zombie movie of the decade. If you like words.
21.- Chacun Son Cinema - Short films about the love of cinema.
22.- Honeydripper - Sayles + Alabama + music = gold
23.- Donnie Darko - Time travel as a metaphor. Avoid the director's cut at all costs.
24.- Hot Fuzz - I like it more than Shaun of the Dead.
25.- Requiem for a Dream - I don't know if I could ever watch this a second time. Brilliantly disturbing.
26.- Kill Bill - Tarantino makes his samurai movie. Way to go Kiddo.
27.- Inglourious Basterds - Tarantino makes his WWII movie. A melange of fantastic.
28.- Little Miss Sunshine - Dysfunctional families are still families.
29.- Moulin Rouge - I still have Roxanne stuck in my head
30.- No Country For Old Men - A man, some money, a killer, a lawman = classic
31.- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - The most fun pirates have ever been
32.- A Mighty Wind - Improv folk music comedy - My favourite of the Guest films
33.- Big Fish - One of the most poignant films about father-son relationships in recent memory
34.- Almost Famous - a GF said, "trust me, you'll like this." She wasn't lying

Okay, so it's 3234. I couldn't bring myself to whittle it down any more. I could have added a dozen more.

*In fact, I added 2 more because I realized I'd forgotten two of my favourite films of the decade!

No comments: