Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Coen Brothers

I may be meeting the Coen Brothers tomorrow night at the after party for the US premiere of A Serious Man. I'm not exactly sure what to say to them. I think something like "um, I'm a huge fan since Blood Simple" is a bit dorky. Although, I guess quoting some line from The Big Lebowski would be even dorkier. Maybe a question about the air speed velocity of an unladen bolt from the No Country stun gun? Why yes, I am definitely a nerd.

Any suggestions on small talk with the Coens?

4 comments:

Julius_Goat said...

Um . . .what???

I'd just say "Thank you so much for making so many excellent movies. I hope you make many more."

Oh, and ask him if they intended the subtext of "Miller's Crossing" to indicate that Tom was in love with Leo.

Give Mary questions to ask. We could have the first major FilmChaw interview here.

Astin said...

Tell 'em they're dumber than a sack of hammers and see if they laugh.

Or ask them why some of their movies suck. Like Fargo and Lebowski. Yes, I just said that. But I hear that A Serious Man is very good.

Or ask them if they feel their allegories set in remote American locales, periods, or cultures have had an effect on the culture at large.

madbrooklyn said...

I definitely thought of the "thank you..." option. If I only get a moment with them, that's what I'll do.

I'm still mulling over Astin's second question - figuring out how I'd answer it.

madbrooklyn said...

Alas, by the time I got to the party the Coen's were surrounded five deep by people. I did manage to make eye contact with Joel and smiled at him as I headed to the bar. Ah well, what could I have said to them that they hadn't heard before?